For Australians, arranging a trip to Europe is not complicated and time-consuming. But in the year 2021, Europe Union will require travelers a travel authorization permit when heading to European countries in the Schengen zone. Similar to the Schengen visa, the European Travel Information and Authorization System, or ETIAS, is a travel permit that is only available to eligible countries, including Australia.
Below is a quick rundown on how to apply for an ETIAS as an Australian:
Online Application Form
Applying for an ETIAS can only be done online, unlike visiting the embassy when applying for a Schengen visa. The online application form consists of the following categories:
- Personal Information – Name, gender, birthday and place of birth, email address, contact number, address
- Passport Information – Citizenship/ nationality, country, issue, and expiry dates
- Health Self-Assessment – existing medical condition/s, if any
- Criminal Self-Assessment – pending charge/s, if any
- Travel Information – flight carrier name, the first entry of Member State/ European country in the Schengen zone
- Payment Information – credit card number, type, holder name, security number, expiry date
After completing the online application form, it will be processed immediately after submission. The system will automatically validate the accuracy of the data that you inputted, your eligibility, and possible security risk/s if detected. You will receive an email that contains your approved ETIAS visa waiver within 24 hours. You will be requested to pay a visa fee of about 11 Australian dollars to seal the deal.
Important Details to Take Note
ETIAS is a travel permit available to more than sixty eligible countries and countries with citizens who travel to Europe without a visa. While the Schengen visa is a better option for traveling to Europe, especially to non-eligible countries, the ETIAS is more convenient to acquire and has restrictions that are not as strict. Here are other important details:
- Australians will be required to complete an online visa application for the ETIAS, not through the embassy of your intended country.
- Required travel documents include a valid passport, machine readable passport, and electronic passport if applicable.
- Minors or travelers below eighteen years old are also required to apply for an ETIAS, but they are free of visa waiver charge.
- Your ETIAS is valid for 90 days and three years. If your stay extends for more than 90 days, you will be required to get a Schengen visa.
- ETIAS is only valid for arrival by air, not sea.
Here is our contact information
Suite 513, 12B Anzac Square
Arcade – 198 Adelaide Street,
Brisbane CBD QLD 4000,
Phone: +61 730 636 008